It’s December!! Last night I kept repeating to the boys, “Do you know what tomorrow is?! It’s December!” and then Jake jokingly teased me and replied, “But we don’t have anything going on in December!”
Hah, how far from the truth! I’m so excited for this December—yes, there’s my birthday next week (and I admit to being one of those people that absolutely loves their birthday), but we’re also renting a cabin in Lake Tahoe with several of my best friends. Also visiting my home sweet home Colorado for a full week and this will be the first Christmas Jake and I actually spend together. (It only took 4 Christmases to share the holiday together.)
Not like January doesn’t have fun in store, with my cousins visiting from the South and Jake’s birthday to celebrate. Or even February, in which he and I are planning a road trip to Oregon. So really, I’m excited about the entire winter season—I mean, I am every year, but this year there’s a little extra pep in my step as we welcome December 1st.
I realize today isn’t the official first day of winter, though I can’t say I care about what the calendar says. December 1st has always felt like the first day of my favorite season, which I think largely has to do with linking my birthday to a winter birthday and, therefore, the first day of that month truly feels like the first day of the season. Not to mention, it’s that time when holiday music begins playing, homes and communities light up, and our living rooms shine with a Christmas tree. Back home in Colorado, it’s almost always snowed by now anyway, and I’ve celebrated more than one of my birthdays at the ice skating rink.
Winter, snow, the holidays. It makes me feel all warm and cozy, and that has nothing to do with the hot toddy I drink as I write this. Another one of my recent favorites about this time of year is all the holiday-themed photos and content across the blogging community. I love learning about others’ traditions, getting a glimpse into their Christmas celebrations, and seeing the beautiful winter wonderlands and homey decorations. It’s hard not to feel festive whenever we pull up our Instagram feeds these days, right?
Considering I had surprising success with my fall bucket list (we got the fire pit and the wine!), I figured to create one for winter as well! I love love love reading your bucket lists too and sharing ideas, so please feel free to leave the link to your winter bucket list in the comments. What do you hope to achieve this season?
My Winter Bucket List:
- Spend evenings cozied up around our new fire pit (bonus points for setting up Christmas decor in the backyard, so we can create our very own winter wonderland… without the snow)
- Tour the Fab 40’s Christmas Lights
- Visit the Global Winter Wonderland
- Try a new restaurant with Dine Downtown for a date night
- Go snowboarding
- Go ice skating (like at the Downtown Sacramento Holiday Ice Rink)
- Go on an Oregon road trip with Jake
- Watch fireworks on New Year’s Eve
- Get a really great winter-themed family photo (one with Jake and Ollie the Dog, another with my parents and sister)
- Drive around my parents’ neighborhood for Christmas lights (because we know they’ll have already scoped out the best ones)
- Go tubing and/or sledding (like at Heavenly in Tahoe next weekend!)
- Bake Christmas cookies
- Have Christmas tea with my mom and sister (as always was tradition with Grandma)
- Infuse bourbon for winter cocktails; perfect peppermint schnapps hot chocolate and hot toddies
- Visit San Francisco with my cousins (can you believe my cousin has never been to California?)
- Ring in my 27th birthday with gratitude and ambition
Also! I want to let you in on what we’re doing for the #letsbelivin favorites this month. Every 2 weeks, I’m going to feature #letsbelivin Instagram favorites dedicated to the holidays and this winter season. Christmas trees, snowy landscapes, sweaters, cozied up by the fire, sugar cookies—anything holiday related and tagged with #letsbelivin will have the chance to be featured on the blog!