I feel like I’m running into someone I really did mean to call… and then didn’t.
Me: “Oh, hey! It’s been awhile, how have you been?” I hope they don’t notice I haven’t reached out in two months.
The Theoretical They: “Um… good. How ’bout you?” Yes, that awkward pause was purposeful as I call you out on pretending you couldn’t have figured out how I was, like, two months ago.
Ugh, you got me. Instead of droning on with excuses and apologies, I’m just going to acknowledge my long absence so we (that is to say, I) can move forward with the blog. Yes, I have been gone awhile. This is me trying to get back into the groove—and if I keep waiting for a magically amazing post to write itself, I may as well say my farewells. So bare with me through this nonsense—or don’t, I probably won’t find out because I have not set up Google Analytics. (I know, I know, huge no-no for us bloggers.)
I may not have been on this blog, but that definitely doesn’t mean I have been idle. To update you and get my writing/posting back in gear, here are 50 things that have been going on in my world. I promise a few of them are even interesting.
I have been…
1. Recovering from the flu. All of April.
2. Going to Tahoe for a weekend getaway that mostly comprised of delicious brunches and sleeping. But seriously, we took an afternoon nap and woke up after all the restaurants closed so ended up having a romantic McDonald’s dinner.
3. Outright shutting down the timeshare salesman, causing the presentation to only be thirty minutes including wait time. I think that must be some kind of record. “This is a once in a lifetime opportunity and your lives can be completely changed for the better forever! Are you SURE you don’t even want to consider the possibility of a luxury vacation home?” “Yes, yes we are absolutely sure, so can we have our free three-night trip to Napa now?”
4. Telling parents that we bought a timeshare to see what their reactions would be.
5. Putting myself on a restricted need-to-go Target diet.
6. Reading the daily political news and seeing what new terrible thing Trump said this morning. Please don’t even get me started.
7. Thinking how much my car needs to be cleaned and never quite managing to get to the car wash. (I honestly go for the free vacuums.)
8. Enthusiastically finding coupons that come in the mail and then forgetting about them until after they expire.
9. Reinstalling my computer so it actually has memory again and then forgetting I now have no way free way of getting Microsoft Office. (I do not recommend using your personal computer for work!)
10. Wearing heels much more often and hating their existence.
11. Taking Ollie to the dog park every day and he spends the rest of the evening like:
12. Making the mistake of bathing Ollie the Dog at home. Between the effort of keeping him in the tub, getting very scratched up, chasing him while soaking wet with a towel, turning the bathroom into a pool, clogging the drain, the home smelling like wet dog, spending an hour cleaning the mess, going to Target to buy Drain-O, and getting made fun for the whole idea by the boyfriend… I think I’ll stick with the $15 self dog wash at Splash Hound USA.
13. Sitting on the edge of my seat at 8:30pm every Sunday night and singing the theme song to Game of Thrones (dum, dum, da-da-dadum…). Seriously though, this is my holiday season.
14. Devouring all articles pertaining to Game of Thrones and obsessing over theories.
15. Wondering how soon is too soon to pre-order Harry Potter and the Cursed Child.
16. Listening to the Lord of the Rings audiobooks and outwardly admitting it because I’m a proud nerd.
17. Telling myself I will go to the pool every day. Maybe tomorrow.
18. Getting addicted to Fitbit again and wishing I had more friends so we could challenge each other. If you’re interested in some (easy) competition, let me know and we’ll connect!
19. Wondering how refilling coffee, going to the restroom, picking up documents from the printer, and taking magazines to the back room do not equal 250 Fitbit steps. It’s a decent size office, why can’t I get 250 steps in an hour??
20. Jogging during my lunch breaks! You know, that one time.
21. Doing yoga from 6 to 6:30m each morning. Now that, I’ve done twice. If you’re interested in starting yoga, I highly recommend the 30-Day Challenge with Adriene.
22. Walking/jogging around the park with the puppy and boyfriend almost every day.
23. Eating healthy salad dinners and losing weight during the weekdays.
24. Then gaining it all back with huevos rancheros and buffalo chicken enchiladas on the weekends.
25. Baking. I made up my own banana bread that is so amazing, I may even share it with you.
I have been…
26. Congratulating my little sister on graduating from college!
27. So happy for my cousin and his wife for the announcement of their first little one on the way!
28. Preparing for my parents to visit in two and a half weeks. I’ve already planned out the itinerary and I’m so excited to show them my new home.
29. Getting ready for my boyfriend’s family girls’ annual trip. Whew, did I say that correctly? Yes, I think so. By getting ready, I mean looking at my white legs and thinking how I should go to the pool, and how I should probably not have eaten so many buffalo chicken enchiladas.
30. Staring at my Instagram feed and wishing it would magically populate itself.
31. Still trying to figure out the point to Snapchat because my life may simply be too boring for it.
32. Feeling extremely uncreative when it comes to my own writing and hoping I can get the ball rolling with my blog posts. Which brings us here.
33. Outlining the rewrite for my “About Me” page, along with a few others, because life is constantly and wonderfully changing.
34. Interviewing for an incredible career opportunity with an award-winning national marketing agency.
35. Beginning new job with said award-winning national marketing agency.
36. Over-the-moon excited about the direction of my career. I wanted to work in marketing for so long, but it seemed like a lifetime away–now here I am. Sacramento has proved to be the best choice I could have ever made for my career.
37. Enjoying real time with my boyfriend now that both our schedules are in sync. He’s not coming home at 9 p.m. every night, I’m not glued to my computer working on Sundays. We finally get to spend Saturdays together!
38. Spending those Saturdays discovering amazing brunch spots. #SacramentoSpot Cafeteria 15L with $12 bottomless mimosas is where it’s at.
39. Beginning to brainstorm some pretty awesome #SacramentoSpot concepts for the blog as I explore its purpose. I’ve played around with the idea and slipped it into a few social media posts, but it really seems to have potential.
40. Truly enjoying this beautiful weather in Sacramento. I still miss Colorado spring snow, though this 80 degree weather makes you want to spend all day outside!
41. Newly obsessed with creating a great patio space. I love the idea of the patio serving as an outdoor living room, especially for apartments. It’s time to get creative and start Pinteresting patio DIY designs.
42. Buying my favorite fruits and veggies from the local farmers’ market. I can’t believe how tasty the seasonal produce is and how it is the same price or less expensive than the grocery store. It gets our butts out of bed on weekend mornings, too! I especially love going to the farmers’ market because the boyfriend gets me fresh flowers. There’s nothing like having a bouquet of flowers at home to brighten any day.
43. Uninterested in monetizing my blog. Whaaaat? You heard me. As I touch on in this post, I feel a little lost and alone when my purpose is not to make money. I love how I’m making my money right now, thank you very much.
44. Finally doing exactly what I want in my life upon my third anniversary of graduating from college.
45. Grateful for how fortunate I truly am. My life may not be perfect, yet I am the happiest I have ever been.
Overall, I have been…
46. Exploring a new city and all it has to offer.
47. Slowly but surely feeling physically better than I have in years.
48. Loving life and being unable to stop smiling.
49. Growing as a young professional at a distinguished marketing agency.
50. Experiencing new and exciting opportunities with the love of my life.
That is what I have been up to while away from my blog. I hope you understand and we can all move forward.